Customer lists, contracts, and financial data. There are many things you must protect from falling into the wrong hands. While there is a lot you can do to keep your business physically secure, there’s now another layer of security to take into consideration: data security.
With so many business transactions, financial or otherwise, taking place through mobile devices, businesses must now take additional steps to keep data secure.
Data is commonly stored on the Cloud, and as its name suggests, the technology itself seems ephemeral to the average person.
What is the Cloud?To put it simply, data stored on the Cloud is stored on the internet, rather than on physical hard drives. The Cloud is a network of servers, some providing a service, and some storing data. Since Cloud computing allows people to use applications over the internet, rather than installing software, it is incredibly cost effective, minimizing the amount of hardware needed for applications or storage.
Cloud SecurityThe Cloud can be a risky place to store important or sensitive information. If you choose to use Cloud computing for your business, here are some steps you should take to ensure your data is as safe as possible.
- Know where your data is: Make sure you choose a Cloud storage provider who stores your data in Canada. Offshore storage can be subject to different regulations, which can make it more vulnerable.
- Limit access: Staff members, and anyone else using your Cloud storage should have access only to the data they need. Use encryption keys to ensure data is properly secured.
- Invest in Encryption: Implementing the highest level of encryption possible will keep your data out of hackers’ hands.
- Back-up important files: Backing up files physically is the only way to make sure you will not lose access to important or sensitive information.
- Manage passwords: Take care to choose passwords that are extremely difficult to guess. It may seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how often people choose passwords that are too obvious!
At Stage2Data, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of Cloud security, recovery, and backup possible.
If your company uses Cloud computing, we have the answers to your security questions. Contact us today to discuss your security options.